Manta5 XE-1 Hydrofoiler
- Hull TypeHydrofoil / Foiling
- Hull MaterialGRP
- Passenger Capacity1
- Engine1x Custom
- Engine Year2022
- Engine hours0
- FuelElectric / Solar
- Length Overall (m)1.93
- Beam (m)2.00
- Displacement (kg)30.5
- Manufacturer Overview
- Model Overview
- Technical Specifications
- General Information
Using the same innovative technology as the America’s Cup sailing boats, the Hydrofoiler XE-1 opens up a whole new cycling frontier.
The founder of Manta5, Guy Howard-Willis has always had a passion for cycling and watersports. That passion drove him and his son to co-found a business that eventually grew to become New Zealand’s largest outdoor and adventure sports retailer.
Much like a boat can be likened to a car, a jet ski to a motorbike, the intuitive cycling experience had yet to be achieved through existing pontoon style bikes. The distinct lack of options had Guy wondering whether or not the same hydrofoil technology that lifts America's Cup yachts out of the water could be applied to replicate the intuitive cycling experience on a whole new ‘water-terrain’.
While the concept of a hydrofoiling bike appeared simple on paper, it’s taken some of the best engineering minds and years of commitment to make Guy’s vision a reality.
The goal was always to stay true to an authentic cycling experience, but when it comes to the physics, the Hydrofoiler is more an aeroplane than a bike. Just like designing a plane, the team had to understand and design for the subtle relationship between rider ‘payload’ weight vs lift from the hydrofoil ‘wings’. Couple this with understanding the required thrust from the propellor, the rider, and the motor to overcome the overall drag - when stationary in deep water and at high speed - was no easy feat. Years were spent understanding and optimising the relationships between these forces.
Upon achieving a proof of concept the team’s focus turned to creating a high-quality, manufacturable product that stayed true to Guy’s vision. To keep it lightweight, safe, modular and serviceable. The Hydrofoiler XE-1 is now making its mark in oceans, lakes and waterways around the world.
A new biking on water community exists and it’s growing…
In the open water you might look over your shoulder for traffic, there is none. No noise, no pollution, no lanes, no shouting, just space.
Suitable for a wide range of fitness levels, with the Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1 riders can freely explore ocean coastlines from their mothership, train along waterways, or cruise lakeside with friends and family.
Riding a hydrofoiling bike on water is ideal for learning a rewarding new skill, getting active and for developing your cardio fitness out in the fresh air. Whilst kayaking or paddleboarding will work out other muscle groups, you can use the power in your legs to get you a long way on the water. Whether you are looking for a long-distance workout or a fast burn, you can be confident that with the Manta5 you will get the training and experience you desire.
The Hydrofoiler XE-1 features 7 levels of variable electric assist. Riding on the lower level dramatically extends your range and duration of the ride up to 4 hours. An effective cross training tool, a rider can adjust the level of assist mid ride giving them a break when they need it. When riding on full assist you can maintain foiling speeds just by lightly rotating the pedals.
When adventuring, you might decide to pedal down undiscovered waterways. Whether you are tackling waves, searching for wildlife or simply exploring at leisure. The Manta5 is sleek, quiet and well-equipped to take you on your next expedition. Our planet is two thirds water – time to seek out its rich diversity and glorious lakes, rivers and secluded beaches. Whether alone or with friends, rediscover your childhood joy of simply jumping on your bike and heading off, not sure what you will find, but alive with the spirit of discovery.
- Weighing a total of 67 lbs/30.5 kg (including motor and battery) the Hydrofoiler XE-1 is as light weight as industry standard eBikes.
Nb- Total bike weight may vary based on production components
Chassis and Gears
- Aircraft grade TIG welded 6061-T6 aluminium frame
- Hybrid drivetrain with industry standard components for easy replacement
- Buoyancy modules designed to streamline the Hydrofoiler both above and below water
- Easy maintenance crank-set, gearbox and propeller/shaft sub-assembly
- Fully submersible IPX8 rated battery housing system.
- 70 cell lithium ion pack
- 36 volts of power capable of supplying 22 amps
- Easy access charging connector with a 4 hour charge time
- Battery ride time 1-4 hours dependant on level of electric assist
- GARMIN® eBike Remote includes on/off, and electrical assist level selection (up and down)
- Nb-Estimated battery run time may vary depending on the weight of the rider, weather conditions, and level of assist.
- IPX8 rated electric motor
- 460 watts of pedal assist power
- Specially designed cooling fins, integrated RPM and double pedal torque sensors to ensure optimal motor temperature
- 7 electrical assist levels
‘Front Tiller’ - Nose of Bike
- Front tiller pivots automatically to adjust ride height to suit different water conditions, ensuring optimal planing levels, and rider efficiency.
Carbon Fibre Hydrofoils
- Foil tip design minimises drag and extends effective wingspan
- Rear wingspan measures 2m. Front wing, 1.2m. General purpose foils. Suitable for lakes, rivers, and ocean
- Variable pedal assist can be dialled up or down to fit your needs.
- Top speed of up to 21 kph (13 mph or 11 knots): similar to Olympic single scull rowers. Modular design for quick assembly and transport to and from the water.
- All Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1’s come standard with the GARMIN® eBike Remote. Rugged, compact and lightweight, riders can cycle between the 7 levels of motor assistance. With multiple compatible devices (30+) riders can also make use of Manta5’s free Datafields on the Connect IQ Store
Additional Optional Accessories
- XE-1 Hydropack Battery: IPX8 waterproof battery housing system. 36 volts of power capable of supplying 22 amps
- XE-1 Transport Wheel: to assist transportation of the water bike over land
- XE-1 Storage Shoe Mount: for mounting and storing the water bike on the wall of a garage
- XE-1 Foil Bag: for protection of the foils when in transit
- Zarges Battery Travel Case: Fitted with Cirrux non-flammable cushions. Suitable for 2 x batteries the Zarges case provides compliance to IMDG, IATA, FAA and 49CFR requirements
- Aquabanas X Manta5 Floating Launch Platform: Easy launch floating platform ideal for launching new riders
- 34T Chain Ring (Learner Chain Ring): Improves launch power for heavy riders, cadence, and endurance of XE-1
Users must check the area of use and follow all relevant safety advice. This hydrofoiler is for competent swimmers only and users should always wear an appropriate helmet and buoyancy aid/impact vest. Helmets, buoyancy aids/impact vests and other appropriate clothing or wetsuits should be professionally fitted for the individual user and are not included.
Conditions of Sale
Net price for base product on Incoterms 2020 EXW (ex works; also excluding freight and/or delivery charges, importation and/or customs duties if applicable, VAT and/or sales taxes of the particular country of end sale). Quotation on request for Incoterms 2020 DDP (delivered duty paid; including all freight and/or delivery charges, importation and/or customs duties if applicable, VAT and/or sales taxes of the particular country of end sale). We can offer this service throughout the UK and Europe.
Price of product based in EUR. Can be quoted in a variety of other currencies including GBP on request.
The Company offer the details of this product in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the product. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This product is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Errors and omissions excepted.
In order to best assist you we will need to contact you and may need to discuss your needs with the manufacturer of your chosen product. By enquiring you expressly consent to your data being handled and stored by Grosvenor Yachts and its associated companies. You may opt out of this data handling and communication at any time by emailing email@example.com. If information and/or data has been passed to the manufacturer, you may contact Grosvenor Yachts or the company in question directly regarding any UK or worldwide GPDR or data handling queries.
All Vessels, Engines and Goods sold by Grosvenor Yachts Ltd are bought by a Customer strictly in accordance with the Conditions of Sale of the Company. These can be found at https://grosvenoryachts.com/conditions-of-sale.
Please note our Return and Order Cancellation Policy at: https://grosvenoryachts.com/return-and-order-cancellation-policy.
Please contact our specialists at Grosvenor Yachts for more information about this product.
T 0330 11 30 800
With offices located at Knightsbridge in Central London and another at Falmouth in the West Country, Grosvenor Yachts excels in the sales of both new and approved pre-owned motorised leisure boats and yachts, new tenders and engines, and a wide variety of water based toys and towables. For more information about us, the brands we represent and our current listings, please visit our website at grosvenoryachts.com.
Grosvenor Yachts has two offices that are open from 9:00am to 5:30pm on Monday to Friday. Our London office address is Michelin House, 81 Fulham Road, London, SW3 6RD and our Falmouth address is PO Box 343, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 9EA. We would like to ensure that you do not waste a journey, so please contact us before travelling to either of our offices in order to make certain that the relevant person is available.
We are proud to be members of the British Marine Federation and are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.